6500! That's the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
NIBR Oncology is currently recruiting a research associate to join our expanding in vitro radiobiology team. Applications are invited for an associate position in an oncology research laboratory that will carry out cutting-edge research in the areas of oncology drug discovery and radioisotope-based therapies together with leading research groups within NIBR. This is an excellent opportunity to join a world class research team at NIBR in Basel, Switzerland.
The candidate will be part of the in vitro radiation biology team and work towards understanding and validating the effect of radiation caused by radioligand conjugates on various cellular functions including DNA damage repair (DDR) and cell fate. The primary responsibilities of the candidate will be to perform in vitro radiobiology activities, cellular assays, immunofluorescence, FACS, and molecular biology, ultimately leading to target identification, validation and drug discovery. We seek an experienced, motivated, and ambitious associate wishing to continue a successful scientific career in a fast-paced drug discovery environment.
The ideal candidate should have a strong hands-on background in in vitro radiation biology, molecular biology, immunofluorescence, and expertise in cellular assays. The successful candidate will perform independent experimentation and data analysis and is expected to play a key role in the mechanistic understanding of the radioligand therapies and their cellular effects as single agents as well as in combination in the field of cancer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Safe and effective work with radionuclides
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
• Independently generate hypotheses, design, perform, analyze, interpret experiments, and communicate data under guidance of the team lead
• Strong team player with excellent presentation and communication skills in English (oral/written)
• Recognize problems and provides input on solutions; suggest new approaches to established procedures to progress the projects
• Efficiently contribute to maintaining a functional laboratory, technical equipment, and tools
• Enthusiasm and commitment to achieve set goals within tight deadlines
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you will bring to the role:
• Qualification as lab technician (apprenticeship or 'Fachhochschule") or first degree (MSc, BSc) in radiation biology, cellular biology, molecular biology or another relevant discipline
• 2-5 years (or more), practical work experience in radiobiology highly recommended, biomedical research gained in an industry or academic laboratory
• Proficiency and hands-on experience in applying a wide range of cellular/molecular biological and/or biochemical methods (in particular RNAi, CRISPR, qRT-PCR, cloning, cell culture, transient/stable cell line generation, immunoblotting, ELISA, FACS)
• Expertise in fluorescence microscopy-based methods such as immunofluorescence is strongly desirable
• Good knowledge of cancer signaling/biology
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
* Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network