Bringing life-changing medicines to millions of people, Novartis sits at the intersection of cutting-edge medical science and innovative digital technology. As a global company, the resources and opportunities for growth and development are plentiful including global and local cross functional careers, a di-verse learning suite of thousands of programs & an in-house marketplace for rotations & project work. With strong medicines pipeline our current transformation will not just deliver growth for our business but continue to allow us to bring innovative medicines to patients quickly
The Executive Director, Therapeutic Area (TA) Strategy, will lead a TA (Cardiovascular, Immunology, Haematology, Neuroscience, Solid Tumors or TAx) focused team. She/he will create and update as appropriate a holistic Disease Area (DA) strategy comprising of internal and external licensing / acquisition opportunities for a designated Therapeutic Area (TA) and ensures integrated enterprise alignment across Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR), Global Drug Development (GDD) and Innovative Medicines (IM).
In this role, he/she will leverage external benchmarking, analysis and insights, and strong judgement to guide internal choices as part of the holistic Novartis strategy and achieve sustainable growth in short, mid and long-term. The ideal candidate will bring both broad and deep understanding of the pharmaceutical industry, the core TA and its DAs to derive insightful and differentiating competitive advantages over our peers. In addition, she/he will develop and deliver strategic external insights across core TA to support identification of growth opportunities and emerging competitive challenges to growth, and sup-port creation of a third-party view around key strategic levers including commissioning targeted primary research.
This role can either be based in Basel, Switzerland and//or Boston, USA. Distant working agree-ments may be offered in these locations based on local employment and/or company guidelines. As a result, please note that international relocation or sponsoring from the US to Switzerland or vice versa will not be offered.
Within the US, the ideal location for this role is Boston, MA but remote work may be possible (there may be some restrictions based on legal entity). Please note that this role would not provide relocation as a result. If associate is remote, all home office expenses and any travel/lodging to specific Boston, MA for periodic live meetings will be at the employee's expense. The expectation of working hours and travel (domestic and/or international) will be defined by the hiring manager. This position will require some travel.
Your responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Drive Portfolio Strategy and decision making:
•Define and drive mid-and-long term portfolio strategy, goals, strategic objectives and leadership aspiration within TA and DAs in collaboration with other functions within S&G, GPSC, IM International, IM US, GDD and NIBR. Orchestrate stakeholder alignment around updates to the strategy as needed, e.g., due to internal or external market events
• Identify potential pipeline gaps and make recommendations to address with other S&G functions, IM, GDD and NIBR partners
• Collaborate closely with key stakeholders (e.g., GPSC, IM, NIBR, GDD, local functions such as Market Access & Pricing) to facilitate portfolio decision making in the context of our goal of becoming a top 5 Pharma player in the US while maintaining our international leadership
• Lead assessments of programs fit to current portfolio strategy and drive content development to facilitate portfolio prioritization / de-prioritization / trade-off discussions for Innovation Management Board (IMB)
• Own DA strategic insights development and forecasting, including co-leading Forecasting Consortium challenge sessions for programs prior to IMB review
Optimize the early-stage TA portfolio
• Serve as NIBR DA commercial lead, providing clear direction on asset portfolio strategic fit, and guiding very early asset shaping, including forecasting, commercial viability, unmet needs (esp. US), evidence strategy and LCM considerations to inform NIBR product strategy. Identify key data requirements to support transition of assets to DDP / FDP (Development Decision Point / Full Development Decision Point)
• For assets post DDP / FDP that have transitioned to the GPT, work in collaboration with GPSC lead to optimize sequencing of additional lifecycle indications and develop proposals for IMB review
• Support fail-fast approach to ensure timely closure of non-priority assets and resources re-allocation for new priorities
Provide external perspective and identify growth opportunities:
• Provide commercial input into BD&L, triage opportunities, review non-confidential information and decision making for evaluations and conduct market research together with Insights and Analytics for opportunity sizing and business case preparation. Drive strategic insights and outside-in challenge of internal assumptions around core pipeline and external opportunities (e.g., forecast assumptions) and within key portfolio governance processes. Drive white space exploration with Novartis Strategy and diligence and external landscape mapping with BD&L and M&A
• Lead commercial discussions on partnering opportunities for internal and external portfolio with top Pharma companies. Leads, in partnership with IM, the commercial DD activities and synthesize commercial recommendations. Leads, in partnership with IM, Licensing and Merger and Acquisition commercial evaluations
• Assist Group Investor Relations and the CEO Office with dissemination of key strategic insights
• Provide leadership support to TA Strategy Directors in developing value proposition and recommendations for key milestones (e.g., DDP, FDP) on projects in the TA
• Coach and develop more junior talents within the group
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Advanced degree (PhD, MD, or other advanced University degree) or equivalent experience in life science/healthcare; MBA, consulting, or equivalent experience highly desirable
• In-depth TA knowledge (or track record to acquire required TA expertise effectively and rapidly)
• Highly agile having the capacity to manage several strategic DAs within a TA and multiple programs internal and external
• Substantial experience evaluating new product opportunities through M&A, BD&L, and internal re-search programs
• At least 10-12 years of pharma industry and/or medical devices Experience in Research & Development and/or commercial functions with experience conducting, commissioning, and analyzing primary research
• Experience of strategy development and asset shaping early in lifecycle (any functional perspective)
• Recent (post 2015) local US experience preferred; local US experience includes working within the US market with the local US customers, US health care systems / systems of care, US payors / accounts, etc. and driving US market strategy
• Recent (post 2015) experience in global role preferred
• A track record of successfully working with Commercial, Medical Affairs, Market Access, as well as Business Development & Licensing
• Ability to comfortably engage with senior leadership as well as mid-career associates to influence and challenge with excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong financial modeling and assessments for valuation skills and experience in strategic and competitive data analysis and insights generation, leveraging digital tools
• Strong strategic vision and excellent communication, consensus building and influencing skills
• Enterprise maximization mindset in balance with TA needs: able to align to broader enterprise strategy for trade-off against shorter-term payoffs to avoid unnecessary investments. Desire to make bold choices to stop/ divest / reduce investment
• Strategic collaboration and cross functional leadership; effectively work in matrix balancing cross-functional perspectives and alignment with business priorities against flexible resourcing
766 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2021 and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity, and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying! Imagine what you could do here at Novartis
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Accessibility and accommodation
Novartis is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to all individuals. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable
accommodation for any part of the recruitment process, or in order to receive more detailed information about the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail
to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.