Our model for success is a better life for everyone and purposeful tasks for our employees. For more than 50 years, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), as a company of the German Federal Government, has been supporting the implementation of development policy goals worldwide. Together with partner organisations in 120 countries, we are involved in a diverse range of projects. If you want to make a difference in the world and develop yourself in the process, you've come to the right place.
- Location:Addis Abeba
- Assignment period:04/01/2023 - 06/30/2025
- Field:Knowledge Management
- Application deadline:02/19/2023
In Ethiopia 80% of the population live in rural areas, of which more than 18,000,000 are (agro-) pastoralists in the lowlands, which account for nearly 60% of Ethiopia's land area. Due to population growth and the increasingly frequent occurrence of extreme weather events, this system is put at risk. People and their livestock have become increasingly vulnerable. Extensive resource use like overgrazing and deforestation causes food insecurity, soil degradation, and erosion. Dry valleys are the result, through which rainwater is quickly directed out of the area without being able to infiltrate into the soil, which intensifies desertification and food insecurity. The Dry Valley Rehabilitation and Productive Use (DVRPU) approach is systemic with a series of technical, biological, economic, social, institutional, and managerial measures applied to rehabilitate entire dry valleys for the benefit of the inhabitants and their animals, taking into account the existing political-administrative and traditional management system.
- Coordination of various research projects and studies to complete the scientific background of the DVRPU approach
- Compile research results in an overarching DVRPU knowledge bank to feed in the implementation guideline in close coordination with government partners
- Provide technical and intercultural support to the various stakeholders, especially teachers and students at local and international education institutions, working on the DVRPU the mentioned research projects, including regular duty trips to other regions
- Ensure that the concept of the approach with a focus on partner orientation is concisely and understandably captured in the knowledge bank, which is the fundament for upscaling the approach
- Advise on the further development and upscaling of best practices and tools related to the approach, especially in the field of flood-based farming
- Support multi-stakeholder dialogue and promote knowledge sharing among key stakeholders in the target regions of Afar, Somali and Oromia to support the upscaling of DVRPU
- Facilitate learning processes and contribute to knowledge management of the project and partner institutions
- University qualification (German ‘Diplom’/Master) in Political-, Social- or Environmental Science or other discipline relevant to the assignment; A PhD is preferred
- Several years of experience in doing research, especially qualitative studies, their analysis, evaluation and the writing of outcome reports and other publications
- Several years of professional experience in the development sector, preferably in Africa
- Several years professional experience in the area of knowledge management
- Intercultural and coordination competences combined with strong communication skills
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and (report) writing competence with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality
- Authenticity, adaptability, resilience as well as performance and goal orientation
- Business fluent in English; good knowledge of German is an advantage; willingness to learn the local languages
We are pleased to offer you a first impression on topics such as climate, shopping and services, the school situation and health care in Ethiopia.
The security situation is tense. Tailored security risk mitigation measures are in place for GIZ staff in country. GIZ staff must adhere to security measures at all times. Please also check the county-specific information provided by the German Federal Foreign Office. GIZ runs a professional security risk management system in the field of deployment. The freedom of movement is restricted. GIZ does not impose any restrictions on life partners and family members to move with you to the country of deployment. Please note that the general and personal living conditions in the country of assignment may meet with different legal and social acceptance. We gladly support you with our many years of experience.
Further information on country-specific advice from the Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en.
GIZ's Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Willingness to travel on a regular basis is required.
For general questions from dependent partners about local employment - please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please observe the provisions of the country-specific vaccination regulations for entry and work in the country of assignment - in particular also regarding COVID-19.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your succesful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails form our recruiting system as spam.
- We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
- Your work will begin with an onboarding and preparation phase that will give you initial insights into GIZ and lay the groundwork for your upcoming assignment, establishing new contacts and building up your network.
- Extensive check-ups and preventive measures (e.g. on appointment, before the outward journey, during the stay in a country of assignment, in an emergency) are provided to our staff and the family members accompanying them as a matter of course.
- As a development worker, you can use the project vehicle for trips to school or to visit a doctor or can receive a monthly lump-sum mobility allowance instead. The project vehicle can also be used for personal trips with your manager’s approval.
- As well as your basic living allowance, as a development worker you will also receive extensive additional benefits during your assignment (including a foreign service premium, family allowances, private group health insurance).
- To enable you to get ready for your assignment as a development worker and your outward journey, you will be given outward journey leave following your preparation time in Germany.
- We will cover a large portion of the childcare costs for dependent children under 14 who are accompanying you if your partner is not doing so and is not a development worker or integrated expert themselves. Most nursery and school fees are paid.
- We will reimburse you for your rental costs based on the rent index for your country as well as paying you an equipment and furnishing allowance on top.
- You and the members of your family accompanying you will be covered by our health and liability insurance, while your family members will also benefit from accident insurance. In countries in crisis, we operate a comprehensive risk management system for your protection, which minimises personal dangers and risks.
The basis for service as a development worker is the Development Workers Act (EhfG) and a comprehensive package of benefits based on it. This includes, among other things, targeted professional and personal preparation. We offer the opportunity to work in an innovative, globally active development institution. Your competencies are in demand in an interdisciplinary team on site.
GIZ is a signatory of the Diversity Charter. Recognition, appreciation and inclusion of diversity in the company are important to us. All employees shall be valued - regardless of gender and gender identity, nationality, ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, social background, age or sexual orientation.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
+49 6196 79 3200