trivago is currently working on a restart of the travel industry after the global COVID-19 pandemic and we see this as an opportunity to improve our core product and diversify our revenues by adding new revenue streams.
Our Auction team develops and maintains different types of auctions and is responsible for the monetization of the website. Advertisers compete in these auctions for exposure on trivago’s website.
As a Data Scientist in Auction Domain you will be responsible for leveraging available data, developing models for reliable value estimation in a very complex environment such as trivago’s Marketplace. You will have a chance to work on an ML algorithms which produce billions of predictions per day. You will also support team decisions on how to continuously improve existing models and help advertisers optimize their marketing campaigns and minimize their risk on our platform.
What you’ll do:
- Develop our algorithms critical for maintaining a fair and healthy marketplace and optimize models’ performance.
- Analyze huge amounts of data for the purposes of hypothesis discovery and understanding long-term trends.
- Create statistical models of our data to establish causal relationships between different components in our systems. Design experiments, conduct and analyze A/B tests.
- Develop metrics that measure auction model accuracy, fairness and other dimensions important to ensure optimum value for users, advertisers and trivago, and create and maintain dashboards used for monitoring.
What you’ll definitely need:
- 3+ years hands-on experience in an analytics related field.
- An exceptional understanding of data analysis and statistics and experience working in either an academic or professional context.
- Proficiency in programming in either Python or R and relevant data manipulation packages.
- Experience working with SQL.
- Experience developing dashboards and producing data visualizations.
- A strong belief that high quality data science work can only be achieved by understanding the fundamentals, being meticulous, and paying attention to details.
- Motivation to continuously learn more about data science and adjacent fields (such as mathematics, software development, and business development), and to share those insights with a team of equally motivated data scientists.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written), confidence in presenting ideas and findings to stakeholders, and ability to do so at the right level of detail.
What we’d love you to have:
- Experience working with big data, in particular Spark, Hive or Impala.
- Experience with Bayesian statistics and probabilistic programming in tools such as Stan, PyMC or TensorFlow Probability.
- Background and/or experience in economics and econometrics.
- Understanding of Auction theory or Causal Inference.
- Experience developing code in teams with version control (git).
What you can expect from life at trivago:
Entrepreneurship: The freedom to take ownership of your work and drive initiatives independently. It’s the idea that counts, not the position.
Growth: Support for your development, constant new opportunities, regular peer feedback, mentorship and training.
International workforce: Collaboration with international talents from 80+ nations bringing different perspectives, backgrounds and expertise together to ensure a truly global focus.
Flexibility: Self-determined working hours and the opportunity to split your time between home and our campus in Düsseldorf: At least 2 days on campus and 3 days at home per week.
Relocation and integration: Support with relocation costs, work permit and visa questions, insurance and free language classes.
Equal opportunity: Commitment to creating an all-inclusive workplace, because we know representing the diversity of our users in our talent base enables us to create a more meaningful product.
A note regarding COVID-19:
We understand that there is a lot of uncertainty around the future of the travel industry. If you want more insight into our current strategy and outlook, follow our LinkedIn company updates.
Our recruiting team will be on hand every step of the way, but if you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com.
We look forward to your application!