Senior Expert Science and Technology - Analytical Characterization of Biopharmaceuticals and NBEs, Kundl, Austria
25+! This is the number of New Biological Entity and Biosimilar projects we are currently driving forward.
We are strengthening the core of our Analytical Characterization (AC) team in Kundl, Austria - to supply cutting edge analytics and in-depth protein knowledge for challenging biosimilar projects or new biological entities (NBEs). We support biopharmaceuticals from early development phase to commercialization and even up to life-cycle management activities. AC specializes on a wide range of physico-chemical analytical techniques with a special focus on mass spectrometry to characterize biopharmaceutical products.
We look for a Senior Expert to join one of our three Analytical Labs focusing on protein, peptide and glycan analysis. You are a highly motivated and engaged person, willing to actively drive analytical tasks and support a common aim within a strong team with flat hierarchies. For this, you are pragmatic and self-motivated. You combine a supportive mindset with analytical expertise and you really do like to solve project challenges from several analytical perspectives.
Your key responsibilities:
• Independently design, plan, perform, interpret and report results of scientific experiments and analytical method development of biopharmaceutical drug substances/ products in a modern lab with state-of-the-art equipment (e.g. HPLC, CE, MS, and physical-chemical methods) in the scope of analytical protein characterization.
• Essential tasks include hands-on generation, evaluation, and interpretation of data as well as proper communication of results. You perform and document complex analytical tasks, also outside of the established range of protocols and procedures.
• You can lead other associates for dedicated scientific tasks and provide guidance as well as training.
• Take up ownership of analytical methods and instruments.
• Represent the department in scientific networks, actively foster knowledge.
• Interact and collaborate with other groups and sites according to project and method requirements.
• You are driving project related method development and thereby contribute to a suitable setup of methods / instruments to keep AC fit for future challenges.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you'll bring to the role:
• PhD in relevant fields combined with 1-2 years of industry relevant experience. Master of Science with 3-4 year of relevant experience or Bachelor of Science with >6 years relevant experience.
• You have a pragmatic mindset and a "can do" attitude. You exercise a flexible, independent and solution oriented working style and are willing to expand your own expertise. You are keen to support others and work for a common project aim.
• Excellent knowledge of analytical approaches and practical experience in handling complex analytical equipment for biopharmaceuticals, i.e. a range of mass spectrometry assays and additional HPLC experience. Importantly, you still enjoy the direct work with analytical equipment like mass specs yourself.
• You are a good team player and keep an open mind to new ideas and concepts.
• You are willing to contribute to keep our labs running and up to date with latest developments.
• Proficient technical writing skills and excellent competencies in English (oral and written), knowledge of German is desirable.
• Ability to work with a cross-functional team in a matrix environment
• Additional knowledge in digitalization (LIMS), programming (R, Python) or automation (liquid handlers, data processing) is highly appreciated.
• Understanding of development activities and processes in Biopharma and knowledge on relevant regulatory guidelines is a benefit.
• Speak-up mentality - you are willing to improve processes and are not shy to tackle obstacles.
• General managerial skills to lead scientific teams are a benefit.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
In addition to a market-competitive base salary, we offer an attractive incentive program, a modern company pension scheme, childcare facilities, learning and development options as well as worldwide career opportunities within the Novartis group. In accordance with Austrian law, we are obliged to disclose the minimum salary as stated in the collective bargaining agreement. For this position the minimum salary is € 54.788,3/year (on a full time basis). In most cases, the actual salary will be higher, as we strive to maintain a competitive position in the market and consider your previous experience, qualifications and individual competencies.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novart