About the Role
Regional Tax Lead - Europe (f/m/d), Vienna, Austria
As the Regional Tax Lead for Europe, you will oversee and manage tax activities in around 20 countries in Europe where there is no local tax manager. Directly responsible for local tax governance, audit, and risk management. Act as business partner, ensuring tax outcomes align with global strategy and local laws/international standards. Manage third-party tax professionals and closely collaborate with global teams and country organizations.
Your key responsibilities:
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Serve as a business partner to CFOs to coordinate tax matters, drive quality, and ensure compliance across all stakeholders. Maintain open relationships with tax authorities and connectivity with internal and external stakeholders.
• Act as primary contact for regional corporate taxes. Together with a small team lead risk management and audit defense activities in coordination with both internal and external parties to minimize adjustments and penalties.
• Collaboratively develop, maintain, and ensure adoption of global tax strategy and guideline. Offer regional advice on tax matters, follow regulatory changes, and monitor impact.
• Provide tax input on new initiatives, support deals, projects, and M&A activities. Ensure local instructions for properly managing tax processes across centers and stakeholders.
• Champion a culture of innovation and transformation that keeps the function lean and effective. Maintain regional tax organization through professional development and networks. Enable stakeholder training plans.
• Drive timely and accurate compliance, successful audits and litigations, delivering quality work product. Establish tax as a value-adding business partner, retaining regional tax management talent.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
We are committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you'll bring to the role:
• Minimum university degree in tax, legal, finance or economics; additional qualifications in tax/finance beneficial such as CTA or qualified tax expert/lawyer, Austrian tax experience.
• Proficiency in English required and German language skills advantageous.
• Ideal experience includes 5-7 years in Big 4 plus 5-7 additional years in an in-house regional tax role, blending external and internal perspectives.
• Possess analytical aptitude, strategic orientation, business acumen, and interest in technology/digitalization with a proven ability to lead complex projects and initiatives to productive outcomes.
• Extensive applied expertise across corporate and international tax disciplines including transfer pricing and managing tax audits. Comfortable operationalizing and implementing tax planning strategies and defending them before authorities.
• Demonstrated regional leadership talents with a solution focus. A confident and persuasive communicator able to constructively collaborate, negotiate, and resolve conflicts across diverse executive and functional stakeholders.
• Strong technical grounding in Austrian and international tax codes and laws. The experience and credibility to steer regional compliance requirements and governance frameworks.
• Forward-thinking mindset focused on mentoring and developing emerging talent. An influencer who motivates team engagement around the tax function vision and priorities through their own behaviors.
• Success powering profitable business growth through tax planning
• The analytical abilities to quantify opportunities, weigh alternatives, and provide sound recommendations. Recognized for contributions optimizing fiscal outcomes.
You'll receive: You can find everything you need to know about our benefits and rewards in the Novartis Life Handbook. https://www.novartis.com/careers/benefits-rewards
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
In addition to a market-competitive base salary, we offer an attractive incentive program, a modern company pension scheme, childcare facilities, learning and development options as well as worldwide career opportunities within the Novartis group. GJFA 1-4: In accordance with Austrian law, we are obliged to disclose the minimum salary as stated in the collective bargaining agreement. For this position the minimum salary is € 80,433 / year (on a full time basis). The actual salary will be significantly higher, as we strive to maintain a competitive position in the market and consider your previous experience, qualifications and individual competencies.
We are open for part-time and job sharing models and support flexible and remote working where possible.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network