Light for the World is a global disability and development organisation whose vision is an inclusive society where no one is left behind. We enable crucial eye health services and help empower people with disabilities in some of the poorest regions of the world. As an employer, we aim to foster a workplace in which individual differences are recognised, appreciated, and respected, in ways that utilise each person’s talents and strengths.
We are looking for a new colleague in our Global Communications Team to cover the position of
Head of Her Abilities Award (f/m/nb)
part-time or full-time
different locations in Global South and North possible
We especially encourage and welcome applications from persons with disabilities.
By highlighting the achievements of women with disabilities, the Award (www.her-abilities-award.org aims to celebrate success, break down barriers in public perception and build a strong network of women committed to the further pursuit of equality and excellence. Now entering its 4th successful year, we have ambitious plans for the future.
We are looking for a committed person to drive forward this crucial initiative and continue the success story of Her Abilities Award.
- In this newly created position you will be responsible for the Award’s impact and future success.
- You will design a five-year plan for the Award’s future, in partnership with Light for the World colleagues and important external stakeholders.
- You will lead our overall Award narrative and write key texts, including website articles and press releases.
- You will develop communication strategies to promote the Award.
- You will create event concepts and actively plan events.
- You will develop and nurture networks and relationships with relevant stakeholders, partners and spokespeople.
- You will seek and secure new funding and advocacy partnerships.
- You will actively represent Her Abilities to external audiences, including the media, government representatives, and funding and advocacy partners.
- Together with Light for the World’s Programmes team you will work to ensure a strong link between the Award and our work in countries including Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, and others.
- Strong understanding of gender mainstreaming, women’s rights and disability rights
- Passionate about Light for the World’s values and goals
- A minimum of 2-3 years of proven project management experience
- Experience in event management, operational project work and campaigning work
- Strong focus on diversity and cultural awareness
- Strategic and global mindset
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic: enthusiasm, initiative and commitment
- Ambitious and driven to achieve impact
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills
- English native speaker or excellent level of written English; other languages are an asset
- Knowledge on accessibility measures
- Good knowledge of MS Office, CMS knowledge is a bonus
What we offer:
- an outstanding opportunity to bring about change through an international development organisation and to extend your professional experience
- a highly motivated, professional and diverse team that strives towards continuous development. We believe in participatory leadership and expect you to contribute your expertise and ideas.
- a competitive salary for the NGO sector, incl. full social insurance & other benefits
- flexible working hours with remote working options
- a friendly, dynamic and inclusive working environment
Please apply exclusively via our application tool at:
Please include a full CV and a letter of motivation in English to let us know why you would like to join our team and why you consider yourself suitable.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of disability, national origin, race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or gender identity. We specifically encourage and welcome applications from people with disabilities and will make all applicable accommodations throughout the application process. For any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.